From Chapter Three ("Five Best Ways to Hunt for a Job") of the book What Color Is Your Parachute? 2010 by Richard N. Bolles.
The Seven Most Important Truths to Remember So Long as You're Unemployed
1. Job-hunting is an activity that repeats itself over and over again, in most people's lives.
2. Job-hunting is not a science; it is an art.
3. Job-hunting is always mysterious.
4. There is no always wrong way to hunt for a job or to change careers.
5. There is no always right way to hunt for a job or to change careers.
6. Mastering the job-hunt this time, and for the rest of your life, done right is a lot of hard work and takes some hard thinking.
7. Job hunting always depends on some amount of luck.